It seems easy to keep life simple when everything is going well. But it’s when life really hits you in the face, that suddenly everything gets more complicated. This is something that I hear a lot from people. So I wanted to record an episode about some lies we tell ourselves about uncertainty and misfortune that I think make everything a heck of a lot more complicated. Living in a time of pretty extreme uncertainty myself, I created this list as a way to check myself by clearing my perspective and approach obstacles from a place of love instead of fear. So here it is,
THE 5 LIES WE TELL OURSELVES ABOUT UNCERTAINTY AND MISFORTUNE
1. If I am too happy right now and this ends, then I will be devastated. We feel like we will be safer if we function at 50% emotional capacity and not enjoy anything too much because we fear the let down if it doesn’t turn out how we want. But do you what to know what I have realized? The pain is going to hurt anyway. It’s going to hurt a lot. So I have changed my focus entirely to fully enjoy the moments as they are right here!
2. If I can’t do something right now, I will never be able to do it. Here’s the thing friends, you have to put in the work to heal and to grow. Strength comes from doing the things you thought you couldn’t do, but it takes time. Growth and healing take time. I am always trying to get it right the first time. I put such high expectations on myself that I feel crushed when I don’t meet them. I feel like I won’t ever be able to achieve my big goals. But then I remember, just because I can’t do it now, doesn’t mean I won’t ever be able to do it. And that’s why I put in the work that I can every day.
3. Bad and hard are the same thing. So often we associate comfort with good and discomfort with bad. That is just our survival instinct. And being comfortable and finding joy in your routine I think is one of the keys to happiness. But when things get uncomfortable or hard it is easy to feel that life is bad. When I would argue that the past two years of my life have been the hardest and best simultaneously.
4. If I am damaged right now, I will always be damaged. As we go through life, it is easy to blame the way we are or events in our lives on a previous misfortune that happened to us. Instead of living life as a victim of our circumstances, is it really that crazy to live in a place of hope and love?
5. You need to move the mountains that you were just meant to climb. I saw this online somewhere and it spoke to me so much. By focusing on climbing our mountains instead of moving them, we can let go of the frustration and anger when they don’t move and instead find the joy in the climb.
I hope that you find this episode helpful if you are dealing with any uncertainty or misfortune in your life. Or if you have ever caught yourself telling one of these lies. A beautifully simple life is sometimes easier to create than other times, but when we get clear on our perspective and work at it, it’s always possible.